I am currently taking a stress management class as part of my major and so far it has been so inspiring and helpful. I would honestly recommend it for everyone! Not only does the class cover how to manage stress it includes a section on time management as well as a section on financial management. Right now we are studying financial management and truly it's been so helpful. One of our assignments is to read the Church's online financial plan: Peace in Your Hearts.
The First Presidency advises all to, "prepare for adversity by looking to the condition of your finances. We urge you to be modest in your expenditures; discipline yourselves in you purchases to avoid debt.... If you have paid your debts and have a financial reserve, even though small, you and your family will feel more secure and enjoy greater peace in your hearts."
I'm grateful for my parents who have set a great example and have taught me about financial management. However, like many of us it is something I still struggle with. Along with all the other challenges and adjustments of being newly married, financial management is one adjustment that require work, a lot of practice, and learning from our mistakes... And believe me we are learning! I have found the counsel from "Peace in Your Hearts" to be truly helpful. I think many of us have goals we would like to accomplish but sometimes don't always know how to go about accomplishing them. This is how I felt with some of our financial management goals, but now I feel like I have a lot more direction and tools to effectively help in accomplishing them.
Collin and I aren't in any really financial distress but I think it is important to start early in creating a financial plan, prepare for the future, and setting aside a savings in case of an emergency. Again check out Peace in Your Hearts, it great!

Off to the right I've posted a SNL skit on finance called "Don't Buy Stuff!" It's pretty funny so I thought I'd share. Enjoy.
I am going to have to read Peace in Your Hearts. Lee and I read a few things while preparing for our financial class at church. It amazed me (though it shouldn't have) while reading different things from our church leaders how much they emphasize the importance of not being in debt, staying out of debt and being modest in expenditures. I wish more people would take time to study these things!
ReplyDeleteReally I don't think there is anyone else more qualified to teach your financial class! You guys do such a great job, if you have any tips send them my way!
ReplyDelete